[xsde-users] Handling multiple versions of the 'same' schema (e.g. Adobe XFA schemas)

Ryan Barr rbarr at pdftron.com
Wed Aug 7 19:16:34 EDT 2013

I got the hybrid parser to successfully read xml based on the
http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-template/3.3/ schema (see previous posting).

The problem is, I need to be able to parse earlier versions of the XFA
schema. As you can see here,
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/xml/index_arch.html, there are
10 older versions of this schema.

For example I built against
http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-template/3.3/
but would like to also parse
http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-template/3.1/

Everything is fine when the input xml is version 3.3 (the one I ran code
synthesis against), however, I get an "unexpected element encountered"
exception when I call xml_schema::document_pimpl::parse() on xml from an
earlier version of the schema (e.g. 3.1).

Is it possible to handle older versions of a schema? Or do I have to rinse,
lather, repeat everything, getting a total of 11 sets of c++ files? This
would also mean separate namespaces, and figuring out at runtime which
namespace to use!?!

Has anyone else ran into this situation, I couldn't find anything in the
mailing list?

thanks!