[xsde-users] Handling multiple versions of the 'same' schema (e.g. Adobe XFA schemas)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Aug 8 10:27:08 EDT 2013

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Barr <rbarr at pdftron.com> writes:

> The problem is, I need to be able to parse earlier versions of the XFA
> schema.
>
> Is it possible to handle older versions of a schema?

This is a tricky area and the answer to your question depends on whether
the schemas were designed with evolution in mind. My guess is they were
not.

XSD/e in fact provides support for schema evolution (see examples in the
examples/cxx/hybrid/evolution/ directory) but it requires that you evolve
your schemas in a certain way. You can try to see what are the differences
from version to version of your schema and if you can transform it to what's
expected by XSD/e.

> Or do I have to rinse, lather, repeat everything, getting a total
> of 11 sets of c++ files? This would also mean separate namespaces,
> and figuring out at runtime which namespace to use!?!

Yes, that would be the "brute force" approach if the above does not
work.