[xsde-users] Re: validation false error

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue May 17 01:36:15 EDT 2011

Hi James,

Can you please from now on send technical questions like these to the
xsde-users mailing list (CC'ed)? This way others who may have similar
questions in the future will hopefully be able to find the answers.

James Sutton <jrs at jmsutton.co.uk> writes:

> 1.  I've come across a problem in validation for the attached document.
> It reports a decimal error for a valid element. It is perhaps a buffer
> edge error as deleting a single space character before the element makes
> it work!

This seems to be a problem that has already been reported (by you) and
fixed. Can you make sure that this patch is applied to your XSD/e build:

http://scm.codesynthesis.com/?p=xsde/xsde.git;a=commit;h=f701e98418bd8e876173dbf5d6b91823c21e51d7

> 2. It would be helpful if the exception could return the actual XML
> element text, if that's possible.

No, there is no support for this. However, you can probably implement
something like this yourself by using the line/column information that
is part of the exception.

> 3. I have serialisation working now, so I can read, modify and write
> a document. I am using diff to find discrepances, and one of the most
> numerous is because xsde always writes a full close tag eg:
>
> <ff></ff>
>
> and never uses the shorthand for empty elements eg:
>
> <ff/>
>
> A trivial point really, but is there any switch to allow it to use the
> short form?

The explicit closing tag is the canonical XML format and that's the only
format that XSD/e supports at the moment. However, we do have an item
on the TODO list for the next version to support the shorter notation.

> 4. Nested sequence_type classes can be very confusing. Rather than
> reuse sequence_type, sequence1_type, sequence2_type... for each level
> of nesting it would be easier if you used unique numbers for every
> sequence_type defined in an outer class.

In a sense that's exactly what we do. What "uniquifiers" other than
numbers would you suggest we use?