[xsde-users] General questions about XSD/e

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Apr 25 08:47:39 EDT 2013

Hi Michael,

In the future, please include a descriptive subject as discussed in
the posting guidelines:

http://codesynthesis.com/support/posting-guidelines.xhtml

Michael Powell <mwpowellhtx at gmail.com> writes:

> #1) Am I correct in understanding that xsde is akin to an
> Xml-compiler-compiler, type thing?
>
>   * In other words, given an Xml document, the "Xsd" is inferred and
> exposed, but the model is static. If we want another model, we isolate
> it, and that's model #2. And so on.

No, XSD/e does not infer your model. It expected you to provide it as
an XML Schema.

>   * In other words, not extensible, not general purpose? Which is a
> completely different Xml library animal.

There is support for schema evolution in XSD/e.

> #2) We are targeting ArchLinux for ARM. How is xsde at cross compiling
> as a static library (preferred), or where does it run?

XSD/e is easily cross-compiled.

>   * Provided my understanding of #1 is accurate, I would have to say
> that we build it first on the development host platform (so, against
> x86 Ubuntu Linux).
>
>   * But which xsde-generated code may be integrated and cross-compiled.

Yes, that's how it is normally used:

1. XSD/e runtime (libxsde) is cross-compiled.
2. C++ code is generated on the development machine.
3. Generated C++ code is cross-compiled.