[xsde-users] switching from xsd to xsde - questions

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Mar 24 13:29:12 EDT 2011

Hi,

dv <dv7777 at gmail.com> writes:

> Right now I have been using XSD with the C++/Tree mapping.
> Now I wonder, how difficult is it to replace XSD with XSD/e? Are both
> very similar, that is, do their command line options have little
> differences? What about the generated code?

C++/Tree and C++/Hybrid are similar in the sense that they both represent
XML as an in-memory, tree-like object model. The implementations of the
mappings, however, are quite different. In particular, C++/Hybrid is
more minimal since it is targeted at mobile/embedded/light-weight
applications. So if you have some code that uses C++/Tree simply
recompiling the schemas will not work. You will need to do some
porting work. Though, since the programming models are similar, this
shouldn't be too difficult.

> Of course XSD/e differs in how parsing is done/integrated, but other
> parts seem to differ as well, for example I noticed that XSD/e does not
> generate any comparison operators.

Right, there are quite a few "extras" provided by C++/Tree (comparison
operators, ostream operators, DOM association, XPath) that are not
present in C++/Hybrid.