[xsde-users] memory management of "variable length" elements

Ivan Le Lann ivan.lelann at free.fr
Fri Sep 10 09:28:50 EDT 2010

Hi Boris,

> Template specialization, and especially partial template
> specialization,
> is unfortunately off limits in XSD/e. We still need to support g++
> 2.95
> (VxWorks 5.x) and eVC++ 4.0 (WinCE). eVC++ 4.0 is pretty much VC++ 6
> when it comes to C++ language conformance.

XSD/e does not need template specialization to wrap its pointer code.
My code is (alpha-)finished, and I think there is no such thing.

One *user* needs template specialization to *use* the power provided
by this wrapping. That's what I meant by "You pay for what you use".

eVC++ 4.0 users would not complain just because they cannot tweak
as far as they could with a decent compiler, would they ?
There are a lot of other things they cannot do with generated code,
and they don't blame XSD/e for that.

>  One drawback is the more obscure interface.

I have to agree on that.
Pointer encapsulation could easily be an option though.

Anyway, if you allow me to, I will send you a patch against XSD/e 3.1.
It is up to you to choose what you want to do with it. :-)

Regards,
Ivan.