[xsde-users] Re: Modifying C++ Class Wrapper Generated From Parser and Serializing to Persistent File Storage

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Mar 12 06:55:07 EST 2010

Hi Bob,

[CC'ed xsde-users]

Bob.Oneil at L-3Com.com <Bob.Oneil at L-3Com.com> writes:

> Hi Boris,  I have both reading and writing working correctly to and from
> files with xsde.
>
> Where I have some remaining questions is what to do in the middle of
> these operations, that is changes that are made to the values
> represented by the C++mapped class between the read and save.
>
> During program execution, values can change for existing items in the
> C++ class (such as password, numeric quantities, etc.)
>
> With each change, I need to make changes to the C++ class created
> dynamically during the parsing process,  and then update the underlying
> XML file repository via serialization.
>
> These changes may result in additional items to those that are
> represented as XML sequences, but much more likely, are modifications to
> the existing settings for the class rather than new content.
>
> What is missing from my understanding is how to modify programmatically
> the values associated with the underlying xml schema in the C++ class
> created as a result of the parsing.
>
> All of the values at their fundamental low level are private, and I
> can't find a direct means of modifying their content (i.e. assignment
> overload).

The object model provides modifier functions for every member (element,
attribute or "base content"). Sometimes these modifiers are inherited
from the base class. The relevant parts of the document are Chapter 4,
"Working with Object Models", and Chapter 5, "Mapping for Built-In XML
Schema Types" in the C++/Hybrid Getting Started Guide:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsde/documentation/cxx/hybrid/guide/