[xsde-users] covariance issue

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Jun 15 16:36:18 EDT 2009

Hi Amrita,

Amrita Garg <Amrita.Garg at audiocodes.com> writes:

> I have generated some source/headers files using CodeSynthesis XSD/e.
> Now I want to compile the generated files on Microsoft Visual 6.0.
> So I added the source files of CodeSynthesis XSD/e(ones in directory
> libxsde). When I compile I am getting errors because CodeSynthesis XSD/e
> files use covariance which is not supported by Microsoft Visual 6.0.

We do use covariant return types when support for polymorphism is
enabled. Without support for polymorphism I believe it should be
possible to use XSD/e with VC++ 6.0.

It is better to use the provided nmakefile to build libxsd. This
nmakefile selects a specific set of source files depending on the
configuration (I think the reason you get the errors is because
you have added all the files in libxsd, including those that are
used only when support for polymorphism is enabled). So I suggest
that you follow the instructions in the accompanying INSTALL file
to build libxsd.lib. Once this is done you can build your application
using the VC++ IDE and will simply need to link to libxsd.lib.

Let us know if you run into any problems with this approach. If you
get any compile errors, please include them in your email.