[xsde-users] XSDe multi platform issue - iPhone, Windows x86, MacOSX

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Feb 18 10:51:42 EST 2009

Hi Constantin,

Constantin Iacobescu <sir.costy at gmail.com> writes:

> So the only and the best solution which I can see is getting a way to
> compile the XSDe for Windows/MacOSX. So do not have only a compilation for
> embedded systems. This would make the source codes some kind independently
> of the platform - because of using of the same library. What do you think?

I think this is theoretically possible. The only problem that I see
is in the schema that you are planning to use. GML, at least version
3.1.1, uses XML Schema polymorphism in the form of substitutions
groups. This feature is not yet supported in XSD/e (planned for the
next release).

XSD is known to work with GML but it may be a bit too big for
iPhone (at least the Xerces-C++ part of it). One solution could
be to use binary serialization instead of XML for the iPhone <->
Windows/MacOSX communications. You can then get rid of the Xerces-C++
dependency altogether though this will require a bit of work (one
person has already done this so you could reuse some of his results).

> There is possible to compile the XSDe for Windows Operating System
> and not only for WinCE?

Yes, definitely. We test each release with non-embedded VC++ 7.1,
8.0, and 9.0. You can use the default config.nmake in the config/
directory. Then open a command prompt, run vcvars32.bat (normally
in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio XXX\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat),
CD to xsde-x.y.z-i686-windows and run:

nmake /f nmakefile