[xsd-users] Tool for documenting/visualizing C++ Tree Output

Iain Sharp isharp at atis.org
Thu Dec 7 09:45:13 EST 2017

Hi Folks,

I am working with a big XSD file defined by committee (literally) which has lots of features used apparently at random (deeply nested named types and inline types, different cardinality classes all over the place, lots of different types of string for different purposes etc.). XSD Tree copes with this all very well.

The problem is that is can be difficult to use the resulting C++ classes because it is very hard to keep track of all the different types and which setters/getters have Optional or Sequence cardinality applied.

Are there any tools that can automatically provide high-level diagrams of the classes and the available methods? I guess the obvious thing is to try doxygen, but I suspect that will just be a mass of detail that is still hard to work with. I am primarily interested in just basic constructor/setter/getter functions. The serialization aspects are not that relevant to this exercise.

My ideal output would be for each class to show, with cross-references/links:

  *   What are the parameters/types needed for the constructor, setter and getter methods.
  *   For the setters and getters what is the cardinality class

Regards

Iain