[xsd-users] Modify XSD compiler

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Feb 5 09:40:00 EST 2013

Hi Wesley,

Wesley Peters <Wesley.Peters at tachyon.com> writes:

> Is this an approach other XSD users have employed?

I think a few thought about it. Here are the relevant emails:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/pipermail/xsd-users/2007-April/000931.html
http://www.codesynthesis.com/pipermail/xsd-users/2009-July/002397.html

> Do you have any documentation on the internals of the compiler?

While there is no standalone documentation, the source code is very
well commented (or so I believe).

> Where would I start looking in the source tree to see where your
> code is walking the parse trees and generating the encoding methods?

There are fairly simple generatord (e.g., stream insertion/extraction)
that should give you a pretty good idea on how to start. Also, the
above emails provide an overview.

> ... it should be possible to add code to the XSD compiler to also
> generate the MongoDB "serialization" code.

Another interesting idea would be to run ODB[1] on the XSD-generated
classes. While ODB does not support MongoDB right now, we do have
plans to support it in the future. Just a thought.

[1] http://www.codesynthesis.com/products/odb/