[xsd-users] XQuery on object model

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 13:13:39 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Boris Kolpackov
<boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> The "hybrid" use is possible with a bit of work. See the 'streaming'
> example in XSD 3.3.0 for more information.

I was more thinking of avoiding DOM altogether. The streaming example
is about creating smaller DOM trees that get translated to the object
model. I guess going directly to the object model would increase the
read speed. Another advantage with the XSD/e hybrid approach is that
it is easier to cut out an element of a certain schema type. With the
"XSD streaming example" approach it might be more difficult,
especially if an element name could occur at different places in the
xml tree but have different schema types.

> The XQuery part is still
> planned for the next major release.

Great

>> And trying to implement  "XQuery on object model" functionality myself
>> with Xqilla or Zorba ( Apache license v2 ) is not possible due to
>> license incompatibilities.
>
> We can make an exception to the license, similar to what we have
> done for Xerces-C++ in XSD.

Yes, that is true.

>> By the way, is it a correct analysis that it is not possible to link
>> XSD with software licensed under GPL version 3?
>
> Appears to be the case according to the GNU website. The FLOSS exception
> would cover this but we should probably add an explicit exception to
> allow linking with software licensed under any "open source" license.

Just to clarify the thoughts I had. I think it is the GPL version 3
software that doesn't allow itself be linked to software that can't be
"relicensed" to GPL version 3 ( for instance GPL version 2 software ).
That would also include XSD as the FLOSS exception doesn't give
permission to "relicense" XSD to GPL version 3.

cheers,
Erik Sjölund