[xsd-users] About xsd list

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Sep 13 11:34:00 EDT 2005

Frederic,

badia <badia at mesiog.obspm.fr> writes:

> What we do is that we take advantage of this last characteristic to do
> comparisons between lists e.g. if a list has a key status then we can
> check the validity of the document.
> In our business domain, we have cases with a lot of items in a list
> (1024 or more)
> We also use the list element as a contracted form for a list of pairs of
> items e.g. list(1 2 3)
> to represent (12 13 23) ; since we typically have 64 items in a list,
> it's obviously more convenient than a sequence of 2016 items, see the
> example in the attachment.

I see.

> We would really like to see this in xsd as well !

Ok, I will see what I can do. BTW, are you using C++/Tree or C++/Parser
mapping?

> Apart from that, what we mean by 'reader' is the  'driver' equivalent
> to parse an xml instance.

That's what I thought. This can be done for the C++/Tree mapping but
not for C++/Parser. The C++/Parser mapping generates templates that one
has to implement in order to do anything useful. So there is no way to
generate a driver that would be compilable on its own.

As of C++/Tree, I am not sure how much code it takes in XBinder, in
xsd it is a one-liner (taken from examples/cxx/tree/hello/driver.cxx):

#include "hello.hxx"

int
main (int argc, char* argv[])
{
  auto_ptr<class hello> h (hello (argv[1]));
}

Doesn't seem as being worth the trouble. Though we may do this one day.