[xsd-users] About xsd list

badia badia at mesiog.obspm.fr
Tue Sep 13 11:05:47 EDT 2005

Dear xsd users

About xsd list, we agree that all the items in a list are of the same
primitive data type and any value inside an xml tag is considered as a
single element.
What we do is that we take advantage of this last characteristic to do
comparisons between lists e.g. if a list has a key status then we can
check the validity of the document.
In our business domain, we have cases with a lot of items in a list
(1024 or more)
We also use the list element as a contracted form for a list of pairs of
items e.g. list(1 2 3)
to represent (12 13 23) ; since we typically have 64 items in a list,
it's obviously more convenient than a sequence of 2016 items, see the
example in the attachment.
In c++, we use the standard vector class. XBinder uses its own container
for this while xsc apparently uses vectors (ref
www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/XSC_ACMSE.pdf")  and we consider this as a
good feature. We would really like to see this in xsd as well !

Apart from that, what we mean by 'reader' is the  'driver' equivalent
to parse an xml instance.

Regards