[odb-users] Issue with uninstall

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Nov 20 09:07:02 EST 2023

Alex B <intord at gmail.com> writes:

> Just wanted to let you know that odb installation caused a severe failure
> in the compilation process on Gentoo systems because it installs headers in
> /usr/local/include.
> I have spent 3 days trying to fix broken builds on my machine and found
> that once portage reads headers in /usr/local/include, it overwrites
> current build job and fails.
> For example, gentoo has migrated to the openssl 3+ a while ago but one of
> dependencies odb has is openssl 1.1.1 so all portage jobs fail.
> Accordingly to the Gentoo devs no custom headers must be written to
> /usr/local/include.

I am having a hard time understanding exactly what went wrong here but
I think what you are saying is that /usr/local/ is used by the Gentoo
package manager and one should no install user-built software there?
If that's the case, then I suggest you install build2 and ODB somewhere
else, naturally.

While build2 automates quite a few things, you are still expected to
understand what you are doing. In particular, you need to know where
it is safe to install user-built software on your system and adjust
the build2 command lines accordingly. The /usr/local installation
location is not even implicit, you've specified it explicitly in
the bpkg-create command with config.install.root variable:

bpkg create -d odb-gcc-N cc       \
  config.cxx=g++                  \
  config.cc.coptions=-O3          \
  config.bin.rpath=/usr/local/lib \
  config.install.root=/usr/local  \
  config.install.sudo=sudo

> So far i just removed the compiled odb* and libodb* folders and
> /usr/loca/include. But what are the others?

I believe removing the following filesystem entries should be sufficient:

/usr/local/bin/odb*
/usr/local/include/odb/
/usr/local/lib/libodb*
/usr/local/share/odb*/