[odb-users] ODB requires x++11

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jul 18 10:45:34 EDT 2023

Justin Armstrong <justinarmstrong at vectormagnetics.com> writes:

> The requirement for c++11 is becoming a bit problematic as other 3rd party
> code bases that we use require c++17 and 17 does not support smart pointers
> which are used in ODB.

Hm, I am not aware of any C++11 smart pointers that have been deprecated
in C++17. Which smart pointers are you referring to?

Perhaps you are not invoking the ODB compiler with the --std c++11
option and are therefore getting C++98 auto_ptr?

> Is there a plan to update to a newer version of c++?

If you get the latest pre-release[1], it supports --std c++14 and
--std c++17. We ourselves use code generated with --std c++14 in
quite a few projects that are compiled with up to C++23 without
any issues.

[1] https://codesynthesis.com/products/odb/doc/install-build2.xhtml