[xsd-users] how to compile utilizing a non-standard location of xerces

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Jan 18 11:39:38 EST 2013

Hi,

Please don't post multiple copies of the same email. One is sufficient.

vinai <for_usenet at yahoo.com> writes:

> We built and installed xerces-c 3.1.1 in this non-system locale,
> but have gotten stuck on trying to compile xsd to see and use
> this location. We've downloaded xsd-3.3.0-2+dep.tar.bz2, which
> did not have xerces-c. So we've tweaked various makefiles in the
> different locations to try to get things to build, but we are
> stuck where xsd cannot build because the compiler cannot resolve
> references to components of xerces-c.

You don't need to modify any makefiles in order to specify the
alternative Xerces-C++ location. As described in the README file
in xsd+dep package, the build system recognizes a number of make
variables, including CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS. Those should be used
to specify the Xerces-C++ header (CPPFLAGS) and library location.

For example, if you installed Xerces-C++ into /opt/xerces (so
that headers are in /opt/xerces/include and libraries are in
/opt/xerces/lib), then the command line would look like this:

make CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/xerces/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/xerces/lib