[xsd-users] wsdl support - slightly off-topic question

Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar sbalasub at qualcomm.com
Tue Aug 5 13:35:00 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have used XSD and gSOAP and here are my thoughts,

XSD today is purely a data representation layer and has support for data
binding as well. The feature that I liked most in XSD is the ability to
associate a data binding to either one of the supported formats (XML,
XDR, Boost archive, ACE CDR). I am sure this could be extended to any
user required binding fairly easily.

I believe boris has extended this to decouple the data and binding layer
which IMO is really kewl. Supporting multiple data binding in the same
runtime would be even great.

gSOAP is very specific to SOAP protocol which is what you are
specifically looking for. As you pointed out, gsoap provides one feature
worth noting, RPC invocation when compared to XSD. However, gSOAP is not
a true WSDL product for the reasons that WSDL provides multiple RPC
protocols like JMS binding, http binding which gSOAP does not provide
and rightfully not expected as well. The issue however is that once you
change the RPC, all your client code now needs to be ripped off. So
gSOAP is not for a forward looking application user.

But I agree with Attila, if you are looking for something that fits only
SOAP implementation of WSDL and are comfortable with interfaces that are
tightly coupled with gSOAP, then it should work very well for you. The
product is defnitely very stable and we use both gSOAP and XSD in our
product. Ofcourse, we are in the path to get away from gSOAP for reasons
mentioned above.

My wish list for true SOA product would be [or what could be built using
XSD that would make application developer life really simple],

1. Tuscany SCA architecture.

2. Use XSD for data representation layer.

3. WSDL 2.0 + additional interface support from SCA spec.
	[WSDL 2.0 would specifically help us to use XSD for generating
all the message related schemas.
		It splits the data representation and RPC invocation
layers more clearly.]

Today, SCA uses SDO and DAS which IMO is cumbersome and I feel XSD
solution would fit the requirements very well.

Thanks,
Shiva