[xsde-users] Porting Xerces/XSD project to XSD/e and differences in generated code

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Nov 9 10:57:33 EST 2015

Hi Andrey,

Andrey Filimonov <andrey.v.filimonov at gmail.com> writes:

> So I made an attempt to replace code, generated by XSD, to code,
> produced by XSD/e, keeping the rest of implementation as is.
>
> The attempt failed due to differences in code generated by XSD and XSD/e.

XSD and XSD/e mappings are completely different. There is no way to
use both from the same, unmodified, client code except maybe for really
trivial cases. This is also not a gratuitous incompatibility: XSD has
more features, is more powerful, flexible, and convenient.  However,
you pay for that with larger footprint and slightly worse performance,
compared to XSD/e. While XSD/e is not as powerful as XSD, it is smaller,
faster and external dependency-free. It was also specifically designed
for working in resource-constrained environments, such as mobile and
embedded systems.

If you need to target both general-purpose and mobile/embedded platforms,
then the recommended approach is to use XSD/e for both.