[xsde-users] XSDe on VS2012

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Sep 26 02:45:07 EDT 2014

Hi Salvatore,

Salvatore Anzalone <anzalone.s at gmail.com> writes:

> I am not able to compile any XSDe library from the package files. I
> was not able to find any Visual Studio solution in the package, and
> the makefiles and nmakefiles are not working.

XSD/e does not include projects/solutions for Visual Studio (there
are just too many versions/targets/configurations; we would have to
provide hundreds of project files). Instead you use the nmakefile's
to build with Visual Studio. The procedure is described in the INSTALL
file that comes with XSD/e ("Microsoft nmake" section). In particular,
the config.nmake file that is on the config/ directory is for building
vanilla Win32 libxsde (as opposed to, say, WinCE), so you will probably
want to start with that file and maybe adjust CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
variables to match your configuration (again, read the INSTALL file).

> I also tried to use the src with dependencies,
> http://www.codesynthesis.com/download/xsde/3.2/ but I had issues also
> there: makefiles ar not working.

This is a source code for the XSD/e compiler itself. You want to use
the binary from Download page. Quoting the Download page:

"XSD/e is available in the form of precompiled binary distributions for
 a number of host development platforms. A binary distribution contains
 the XSD/e compiler binary for the selected host platform as well as the
 source code for the runtime library and examples. You will need to
 configure and compile the XSD/e runtime library for your target OS
 and CPU architecture. For more information on the configuration and
 building refer to the INSTALL file in each binary distribution."

> Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, probably not reading the INSTALL file ;-). If that still doesn't
help, be more specific about what steps you have done and what exactly
doesn't work (instead of a blank statement like "the makefiles and
nmakefiles are not working").

> Does XSDe actually work in a Windows environment?

Yes.

> Do you have a procedure to compile the XSDe library?

Yes, in the INSTALL file.

> Better, do you think you will be able to make available the precompiled,
> static libraries and the needed includes?

No, there are just too many variations in versions/targets/configurations
to make this feasible.