[xsde-users] Polymorphic data model and custom binary streams -- doe not seem to work right.

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Jun 20 09:44:52 EDT 2012

Hi Nikita,

Nikita Visnevski <nikita_visnevski at hotmail.com> writes:

> Are there plans to support this feature in XSDe?  If so, what would be
> the time frame?

It is on our "possible new features" list, however, it doesn't seem like
something that a lot of people are interested in. In fact, you are the
first person asking for this functionality. So at the moment we have
no plans to implement it any time soon.

Having said that, if you/your company needs it, we can consider doing
this work as custom development on commercial basis. In fact, if I
remember correctly, the same was implemented in XSD this way. That
is, someone needed it in their application and they paid for its
implementation. Contact me off-list if you are interested.

> Any recommendation on what I can do in the meantime? I guess I can try
> to implement a subset of this capability manually, though it sounds like
> a bit of a tedious and daunting task.

Yes, the easiest way is probably to implement it properly in the compiler
(XSD/e). The other way would be to customize every polymorphic type in your
schema and provide custom insertion/extraction operators that handle
polymorphism.