[xsde-users] HOWTO: Compile libxsde.a for VxWorks 6.x using Workbench and diab compiler

Jonathan Haws Jonathan.Haws at sdl.usu.edu
Mon Jan 9 13:50:06 EST 2012

This is a HOWTO for my benefit and anyone else trying to get the XSD/e library built using the WindRiver diab compiler.

1. In Workbench, create a Downloadable Kernel Module project to house the code.
2. Make sure the libxsde directory is clean (make clean)
3. Copy and paste the xsde/ directory into your new project in Workbench.
4. Run a make on the original source with the GNU tools, configuring it with the VxWorks configuration example (from etc/vxworks/).
5. Using the build output in the console as a guide, customize the partial image build target as follows:
    a. Create virtual folders for each subdirectory where a build occurs in GNU (I used expat, genx, cxx, hybrid, parser, and serializer).
    b.  Add content to each of these subdirectories from their respective folders (e.g. c/expat/xmlparse.c goes under the expat subdirectory, cxx/hybrid/whatever.c goes under hybrid, and so on).
6. I had to comment out lines 701-708 in c/genx/genx.c in order to get it to build.  Diab doesn't like that syntax for some reason.  It does not appear to have any adverse affect, since those functions are not called from anywhere I can see.  Hopefully I am right.  Can anyone shed some light on that?
7.  Build the library as you would another DKM.

Hopefully this is of help to someone else.  I spent three days trying to figure out how to get this to build correctly since the rest of my system was using that compiler.  Now things are coming along.

Thanks!

--
Jonathan R. Haws
Electrical Engineer