[xsde-users] Feature proposal : throw an exception when accessing non-present member

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Jan 31 10:16:07 EST 2011

Hi Ivan,

Ivan Le Lann <ivan.lelann at free.fr> writes:

> Obviously, calling bar() when bar_present() is false is an access violation.

Or, more precisely, it is a programming error that leads to an access
violation. One should never call an optional member accessor without
first checking for its presence.

> Now, how about throwing an exception with very basic information?

I think that's a bad idea. This is a programming error, not an unexpected
condition. It will also negatively affect performance and object code
size.

> I dislike having to do C-style checks to show decent error report.

Having the _present() accessor return false should no be an error. If it
is, then you should make this member required (in the schema).