[xsde-users] Unwanted validation

James Sutton jrs at jmsutton.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 05:26:08 EDT 2010

Hi Codesynthesis,

	I would like to provide a list of titles of my (large) MusicXML files, which can be obtained by parsing just a few small elements. Currently it has to parse and validate each entire file just to get this information, and it is very slow.

I tried switching off validation, but it gives an error when generating the code from the schema:

	error: complex type 'dynamics' contains choice compositor
	error: parser validation is required to handle this construct.

also it seems that must be decided at build time, so, since I will need validation for reading the full files, I must also have validation when I don't want it. Why can't I decide at runtime ?
I am struggling to hand-edit the generated code to remove all the unwanted parsers (for notes etc) for the titles-only version, after reading in the documentation that this is possible. Is this going to work or am I wasting my time? At the moment the validator is complaining and refusing to read the file at all, but this could be because I have made an error. I can't help feeling that if I remove parsers it's going to think that unparsed elements must be invalid, so this approach is doomed.

regards
James Sutton