[xsde-users] Will XSD/E support XML Schema 1.1 new features?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Mar 19 03:50:29 EDT 2010

Hi Kjell,

Kjell Svensson <iftroja at live.com> writes:

> I have problems with how to handle our XML schema versions, to be
> backward/forward compatible etc. It looks like version 1.1 introduce
> some new features that could help e.g. openContent. Are there any
> plans if/when XSD will support 1.1?

We are planning to support some of the features in 1.1 eventually,
though it is not clear when, since the specification is still
changing and there is no definite timeline from W3C when it will
become a recommendation.

Also some of the new features proposed for 1.1 may not be practical
for embedded systems. For example, assertions would require a complete
XPath processor plus the construction of a generic XML sub-tree to
evaluate the expression on. Neither of these two requirements are
realistic for most embedded systems.

Also, it would be helpful for you and others interested in XML Schema
1.1 support to provide a list of 1.1 features that you are planning
to use in your future schemas and would like to see supported in
XSD/e. This way we can get a better idea about which features the
users of XSD/e are interested in.