[xsde-users] Re: Errors when using VS2008 express and MinGW (latest version)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Aug 25 10:37:43 EDT 2010

Hi Terry,

In the future please send technical questions like this about XSD/e
to the xsde-users mailing list (which I've CC'ed to my reply). Also
see the posting guidelines:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/support/posting-guidelines.xhtml

O'Laughlin, Terry <Terry.O'Laughlin at ipc.com> writes:

> I guess I still haven't got my build environment stabilized.  Not that
> I haven't been trying a lot of various things. Just read where you
> suggested NOT to use a VS project file. Okay, so I've had the same
> error below with VS 2008express and MinGW, both executed using the
> command line.

If you are planning to target VxWorks 5.x but want to develop on
Windows using one of the VC++ compilers, then the most sensible
thing to do is to start with VC++ configuration file and then
disable all the features that are not available on your target
by looking at the VxWorks config file. In your case this would
translate to:

1. Take the standard config/config.nmake

2. Look through etc/vxworks/config-5.5.1.make and disable every
   feature in the above config.nmake file that is not enabled
   in config-5.5.1.make. This will include things like STL,
   exceptions, iostream, etc.

The resulting configuration will be very minimal which means
you won't be able to build most of the examples (they require
C++ features that are not available in your configuration).
But the 'minimal' example should build and it shows all the
major XSD/e operations (parsing, serialization, object model
access and modification, error handling, etc) that should be
sufficient to get you started.

Boris