[xsde-users] Re: Error during serialization of the character 'ü'

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Dec 15 07:57:48 EST 2009

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Frenzel (TomSun) <tftomsun at streamteam.de> writes:

> When i try to log a message with the character 'ü' i get an
> xml_schema::serializer_exception with the text "illegal UTF-8 character"
> and what "xml error"

XSD/e expects all the text that you supply to it (e.g, in the object model
or with the C++/Serializer mapping) to be in UTF-8. The proper encoding
for letter 'ü' in UTF-8 is a two-byte sequence "\0xC3\0xBC". Putting the
Unicode value for 'ü' in a UTF-8 string (which is what you are doing)
results in an invalid encoding since in UTF-8 such a value is only
expected as part of a multi-byte sequence.

We are planning to add support for ISO-8859-1 (where 'ü' is represented
as its Unicode value) in addition to UTF-8 as the object model encoding
(you will still be able to serialize in UTF-8). If you only need to
support Western-European languages then this encoding might be a better
choice since it will be easier to work with. Let me know if you would
like to try it.