[xsd-users] Ignoring unknown elements

Henry Dornemann henry at commvault.com
Mon Apr 2 11:54:47 EDT 2018

Is there some way to ignore unknown elements while parsing an XML document?

The situation that I have is the xsd schema file is provided by a 3rd party and I utilize xsd to generate code to parse this.  The 3rd party will extend their schema with new versions and this breaks our ability to parse the documents even though I only care about the already known elements and not the new elements that are added in the new version.

What's worse here is that this condition doesn't even generate a parsing error, we just get a partially populated object and don't even realize that there was something wrong with the input document

I found a previous question on this same topic
https://www.codesynthesis.com/pipermail/xsd-users/2014-October/004453.html
but I don't see any resolution from it; was any command line option added to avoid breaking out of the element parsing loop?

Thanks
-Henry

"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the message by mistake,
please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."