[xsd-users] dlclose and xsd cxx-tree

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Jul 13 05:02:58 EDT 2012

Hi John,

Skunk Worx <skunkworx at verizon.net> writes:

> I seem to be having a problem with xsd cxx-tree and dlclose().
>
> [...]
>
> ...why, after a successful dlclose(), is the .so still referenced in the
> application memory?

I did some searches and there appears to be a bug either in GCC or glibc
(there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this). See these two threads
for more information:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2011-05/msg00403.html
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/binutils/2011-05/msg00376.html

> It is my understanding that this will result in an invalid .so
> initialization if the .so is subsequently reopened by the same
> application instance.

I did some testing and what happens is dlclose() is simply ignored.
As a result, a subsequent dlopen() is also ignored. So it is ok
to re-load the library with this bug.