[xsd-users] Poor performance of Unicode conversion

Ray Lischner rlischner at proteus-technologies.com
Wed Sep 26 10:43:50 EDT 2007

In our performance measures, we see that a significant amount of time is spent transcoding UTF-8 to UTF-16 and vice versa. This is complete, total, 100% waste. Our code would be simpler, smaller, and faster if we could work purely with UTF-8, and skip all transcoding.

I realize that Xerces is the source of the problem. Have you investigated any other XML libraries that might not have this performance penalty? We use cxx-tree and need to manipulate the DOM at times.
--
Ray Lischner, Proteus Technologies