[odb-users] SQLite3 Version (and Native View Question)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Jan 25 07:07:11 EST 2023

Brian E. Coggins <becoggins at hotmail.com> writes:

> 1.  Can we expect a newer version of sqlite3 to be incorporated into
>     ODB’s distribution soon?  (Or I am dumb and missing an already-existing
>     update, perhaps by using bpkg incorrectly?)

SQLite is not really a part of the ODB distribution but rather a
package that libodb-sqlite depends on. We've published 3.39.4 that
includes the functionality you are looking for:

https://cppget.org/libsqlite3

> 2.  I thought about switching to the system's libsqlite3, except that
>     seems to be a mess.  [...]

Yeah, I am not sure what's going on there. I would suggest that you
try to upgrade to 3.39.4 from the above package and see if that fixes
things.

> 3.  Absent a sqlite3 upgrade, I thought I’d try to workaround the
>     lack of outer join support by using a complex query of the
>     structure WITH (xxx UNION yyy) SELECT zzz as part of my ODB
>     native view.  The query works in the sqlite3 CLI, but the ODB
>     compiler complains “view XXX has an incomplete query template
>     and no associated objects.” Is the ODB compiler trying to parse
>     the query and getting hung up on this syntax?  Any advice?

Yes, it tries to guess whether it's a complete query or the WHERE
clause by checking if the query starts with one of the known keywords
(like SELECT). I have a TODO item to recognize some additional database-
specific keywords (like WITH).