[odb-users] ODB on Android

Wolfgang Haupt haupt.wolfgang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 08:45:19 EDT 2020

On 14.04.20 12:02, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> Wolfgang Haupt <haupt.wolfgang at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> And I can cross-compile libodb and libodb-sqlite+libodb-mysql just fine.
>>
>> However I struggle to see how this will work together with the odb compiler.
> You would normally use native ODB compiler for your development machine.
> So if you are using x86-64 Linux to develop for ARM Android, then you
> would run x86-64 Linux ODB compiler, generate the database support
> source code (the source code is the same for all the platforms), then
> compile that for ARM Android along with your other source code, and
> finally link everything together with cross-compiled libodb*.
>
> It may be possible to build a native ODB compiler for Android but we
> haven't tried (you will most likely need to build GCC from scratch
> with plugin support).

Hey Boris,

thx for your clarification - seems the procedure works better when I use
version 17 of the
android ndk.
I'm still in the compilation process, so I can probably report back once
it is finished.

Given the earlier mentioned errors just disappear when using the 17 NDK,
I wonder how/if it is possible
for the odb compiler (on the host machine) to generate valid c++ code
for the target, when the target probably
uses a completely different standard c/c++ library and has no support
for GCC at all.

> It may be possible to build a native ODB compiler for Android but we
> haven't tried (you will most likely need to build GCC from scratch
> with plugin support).
I do not want to go this way either if not possbile, sounds like pain to me.
Does that mean you have tried to use odb on a recent android ndk >= 18?

Best Regards,
Wolfgang