[xsde-users] Generate aggregate that handles multiple root elements

Jonathan Haws Jonathan.Haws at sdl.usu.edu
Sat Jan 11 17:08:26 EST 2014

Is it possible to take a schema that defines multiple valid root elements and generate an aggregate that will parse/serialize based on what it sees?

For example, if I have a schema that defines root elements A, B, and C can I generate a parser that will accept:

<A attr="1">
	<B></B>
	<C></C>
</A>

As well as,

<B attr="1">
	<C></C>
</B>

And,

<C attr="1"></C>

And determine what the root element is for me and parse the document?

I would also like to be able to serialize and not worry about the root element and just have some routines that look something like:

Serialize(A&);
Serialize(B&);
Serialize(C&);

Serializing would be the easy part if I had to do it myself.

Does that make sense?  Can XSD/e generate something like this or am I on my own to write a class that handles all that for me?

If I am on my own, what is the easiest way to determine what the root element is since I cannot simply parse it?  I would rather not manually parse it using string functions if I can avoid that.  I did look at the multiroot example and didn't seem to see an answer in there...

Thanks!
Jonathan

--
Jonathan R. Haws