[xsd-users] Discovered a problem with the path environment variable causing hard to debug crashes on windows

Robert Krajewski robert.w.krajewski at gmail.com
Fri May 8 16:56:19 EDT 2015

Hello everybody,

the last days I nearly went bananas.
As soon as I included the generated c++ classes to my project, my software
instantly crashed at startup. I crashed without any error message and even
before the debugger could attach to the program.
At the moment I am working on my master thesis and so I have been really
desperate the last days.

But I found the solution to this problem. Because of the fact that this
could be a common problem, I would like to make this post.
So the problem was, that at startup the wrong .dll (on Windows) was loaded.
Maybe the developers can give a hint to other users or even fix this issue.

Here is a detailed description of my problem:
I am using Windows 7 (64 bit), MSVC 2013 as Compiler and QT Creator as my
IDE for my QT projects.
If I try to build and run the examples in MSVC 2013 everything works fine.
But if I tried to do the same in QT Creator, the examples instantly crashed.

The problem have been the changes which XSD added to the path environment
variable during the setup.
The path is looking somewhat like this after installation:

<pathToXSD>/bin;<pathToXSD>/bin64;....

The first part of the addition (../bin) caused the crashed. I guess the
software tries to load the 32-bit dll while I compiled against the 64-bit
dll.
As soon as I removed the first part, there are no crashes.

A solution to this problem could be that the order in which the bin
directories are added to the path is switched. But I didn't test it yet.

I hope my thread will help someone out there which is as desperate as I
have been.

Best regards,
Robert