[xsd-users] Using xsd commercially in-house

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jan 8 10:37:30 EST 2013

Hi Olumide,

Olumide <videohead at mail.com> writes:

> Can xsd be used commercially in-house _solely_ to generate C++ files?

Yes, you can use XSD (including generating C++ files and linking to the
XSD runtime) without having to publish your source code under the GPLv2
provided you do not distribute your application to any third party (which
is what I believe you mean by "in-house").

> The runtime library will not be linked with our codebase in anyway.

The generated code is quite useless without the runtime. The only use
case I could think of is using the generated code as some kind of a
test case for a static analysis tool or some such. But, as I mentioned
above, you can link to the runtime if you need to.