[xsd-users] Help for User Defined Types

Jones, Monte J CTR USAF AFSPC SLG/WML Monte.Jones.ctr at peterson.af.mil
Tue Nov 24 11:38:55 EST 2009

I am attempting to parse an XML with user defined data types.  I am
using these because some of these data types appear in multiple places
in the XML document.  For example one of the types I have is a location
which is defined as indicated below.  I use this for many assets, each
with different other parameters.

<xsd:complextType name="Location">

    <xsd:sequence>

        <xsd:element name="Latitude">

            <xsd:restriction base="xsd:float">

                <xsd:minInclusive value="-90.0" />

                <xsd:maxInclusive value="90.0" />

            </xsd:restriction>

        </xsd:element>

        <xsd:element name="Longitude">

            <xsd:restriction base="xsd:float">

                <xsd:minInclusive value="-180.0" />

                <xsd:maxInclusive value="180.0" />

            </xsd:restriction>

        </xsd:element>

        <xsd:element name="Altitude">

            <xsd:restriction base="xsd:float">

                <xsd:minInclusive value="-300.0" />

                <xsd:maxInclusive value="43000.0" />

            </xsd:restriction>

        </xsd:element>

    </xsd:sequence>

</xsd:complexType>

Here is the example of how I am using my type in the xsd.

    <xsd:element name="Site_Location" type ="lib:Location" />

The schema validates, and the parser code compiles but does not link.  I
think the problem comes in the Location contains no actual data, only
the definitions of data.  The auto generated -pskel and -pimpl files
have shells for parsing Location data, but then I am having trouble with
the use for different assets because I do not have a defined
implementation for the shell.

We have used Xerces-C and Code Synthesis XSD a lot, but none of the
previous implementations contained user defined types.  I really think
this is a misunderstanding on my part about what to do, not a product
problem.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for including,
using, and parsing user defined types?

Monte J. Jones, Contractor

Colorado Professional Resources

SMC/SLG/WMLE

1050 E Stewart Ave

Colorado Springs, CO 80914

719-556-9903

This electronic message contains information from Colorado Professional
Resources, LLC and is confidential or privileged.  The information is
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this
message is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone at (719) 599-1353, or by email and
then immediately delete this message.