[xsd-users] Re: XSD compile error

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Sep 7 02:42:46 EDT 2007

Hi Roger,

In the future please send technical questions like these to the
xsd-users mailing list (which I've CC'ed) instead of to me directly.
This way a) other developers who may have experienced a similar
problem can provide you with a solution b) questions and answers
will be archived and available to others with similar problems.

Fraser Roger <Roger.Fraser at nrw.qld.gov.au> writes:

> First of all - thank you for XSD. I have been using it extensively in
> VS2005 and it is truly an excellent product.

Thanks, I am glad you like it.

> I am now porting my projects to Linux (fc7). I decided to download the
> source code and compile myself using your step-by-step instructions on
> http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/extras/build-unix.xhtml.
>
> All works well except for the last step when I attempt to compile XSD.
> Here's what I see:
>
> [...]
>
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/home/fraserr/dev/boost_1_34_1/stage/lib/libboost_filesystem-gcc-1_34_1
> .so', needed by
> `/home/fraserr/dev/libxsd-frontend-1.10.0/build/import/libboost/filesyst
> em/filesystem.l'.  Stop.

Can you make sure there is libboost_filesystem-gcc-1_34_1.so in
/home/fraserr/dev/boost_1_34_1/stage/lib? I didn't have a chance to
test everything with 1.34.x yet. Maybe the boost folks changed their
library naming schema again. If it is there but with a different name,
you can simply create a symlink with the name XSD expects.

> I note that during the initial run of make, I am prompted with:
>

> Embed dynamic library paths into executable (rpath)?
> [y]:
>

> This wasn't on your instructions page, so I have been typing in 'n' - is
> this OK?

That's ok. Either way it shouldn't cause the build to fail. If you
answer yes to this option then library paths will be embedded into
the XSD executable so you won't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include,
for example, /home/fraserr/dev/boost_1_34_1/stage/lib.