[xsd-users] Re: using xsd in community applications

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Aug 9 07:29:07 EDT 2006

Hi Jos,

Thanks for re-posting it to xsd-users.

Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com> writes:

> Even if the cost isn't high, it would be useful to have the namespaces as
> public constants in the parser. At the least this would avoid typos in the
> namespaces.

This is true. There are, however, other things to consider. For example,
any extraneous (wrt XML Schema) name introduced into a namespace will
potentially conflict with names used for types and functions. So we will
need to analyze the schema and use name escaping to avoid conflicts.
Things get even more complicated when you start considering multiple
schemas that use the same namespace name. In this case it is really
non-trivial to avoid redefinition. So to summarize, there are two
issues that need to be resolved:

1. How to avoid conflicts with (potentially not yet seen) types and
   functions.

2. How to avoid redefinition with multiple schema files.

> > You can use the generated code and runtime in pretty much any open-source
> > projects (including LGPL-licensed ones). The compiler itself is GPL-only,
> > though. See the FLOSS exception on the XSD licensing page[1] for more
> > information.
> >
> > [1] http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd/license.xhtml
>
> Great. This FLOSS exception ( i did  not read it properly before ) is a very
> good idea and a good way of bypassing the license incompatibilities. So if I
> understand correctly, it's ok to use as long as a significant amount of code
> under any of the FLOSS licenses is used. That's wonderful.

It requires that the generated code your license under the FLOSS exception
is actually used by some other code in the open-source project (as opposed
to being there just to change the license from the GPL to a more liberal
one).