[xsd-users] cannot compile hello cygwin

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Aug 4 14:09:18 EDT 2006

Remsy,

Schmilinsky, Remsy <Remsy.Schmilinsky at ccra-adrc.gc.ca> writes:

> $ make
> xsd /usr/src/xsd-2.2.0/examples/cxx/parser/hello/hello.xsd
> \usr\src\xsd-2.2.0\examples\cxx\parser\hello\hello.xsd: error: '\usr\src\xsd-2.2.0\examples\cxx\parser\hello\hello.xsd': unable to open in read mode

This is because the xsd binary you've just built is a native Win32
executable and expects Win32 path (as stated at the end of the build
instructions) while the build system uses POSIX paths. This binary
is normally used with projects that use "native" C++ compilers such
as VC++. While you can still use native Win32 applications under
Cygwin, you will either need to use relative paths or translate them
using the cygpath utility.

Another alternative, especially if you are planning to develop
exclusively under Cygwin, is to build xsd as a Cygwin executable.
The build instructions should be pretty similar to the ones for
Mingw except you will need to remove the -mno-cygwin option from
the g++ command line and generally watch for places where things
mention Cygwin or Mingw. If you would like to give this a try,
please let me know how it goes. If you run into any problems
I will try to do a complete build myself (and maybe even package
the result as a pre-compiled binary, if there is interest).