[odb-users] Containers of containers not detected

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sun May 1 10:32:07 EDT 2016

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Cunningham <andrew at a-cunningham.com> writes:

> It would be great if the ODB compiler could detect "containers of
> containers" and throw an error.

It does normally. In your case, you have a container of containers
via a value type, which ODB doesn't detect. I've added an item to
our bug list.

> - Is the "container of containers" a hard limitation that will remain in
> future versions of ODB?

There are no plans to support this feature "out of the box" since the
complexity will make the mapping incomprehensible for most users.

What we will support is emulation of containers of containers. It will
require quite a bit of work from your side but the benefit is that you
will understand the (complexity) of the resulting schema (and can decide
whether it is worth it).

scm.codesynthesis.com/?p=odb/libodb.git;a=commit;h=ad515f85e807f8d21a1b70f5ed288705e0f2f531

> - Is the fact that using a BLOB makes the code work just blind good luck?

No, if you map an inner vector to BLOB, then it is no longer a container
in the ODB sense (i.e., it is not mapped to its own table).