[odb-users] Re: odb and gcc 6.0

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 16:32:07 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 7:09 AM, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> [CC'ed odb-users]
>
> Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Fedora rawhide just updated to gcc 6.0. I tried to rebuild but it ran
> into
> > some errors. You can find the build.log at:
> > https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=12725095
>
> Ok, I've made it compile with the latest snapshot. Here is the patch:
>

> http://scm.codesynthesis.com/?p=odb/odb.git;a=commit;h=511dcf67322ad87fb32f97d1cf7725c129e83898

Thanks for getting around to that, but I'm still getting a build error even
with that patch:

parser.cxx: In member function 'semantics::type&
parser::impl::create_type(tree, parser::impl::access, const path&, size_t,
size_t)':
parser.cxx:1838:7: error: reference to 'array' is ambiguous
       array& a (unit_->new_node<array> (file, line, clmn, t, size));
       ^~~~~

And these two:

parser.cxx:1838:24: error: parse error in template argument list
       array& a (unit_->new_node<array> (file, line, clmn, t, size));
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
parser.cxx:1838:66: error: no matching function for call to
'semantics::unit::new_node(const path&, size_t&, size_t&, tree_node*&, long
long unsigned int&)'
       array& a (unit_->new_node<array> (file, line, clmn, t, size));

> A couple of notes:
>
> 1. GCC 6 is C++14 by default, so you may want to compile with -std=c++03 or
>    pass -Wno-deprecated-declarations to suppress auto_ptr warnings.

The warnings are ok and, like you pointed out, I can supress them if they
become too annoying.

> 2. While it compiles and prints usage, I could not make it compile any
> code;
>    std::locale() throws bad_alloc. I didn't spend too much time on this
> since
>    it is still early in the release process and it is probably quite buggy.
>    But maybe the Fedora build has some extra patches, so let me know how it
>    goes.

That's interesting. gcc 6.0 is still not a stable release, so it might be a
bug in gcc or the underlying C++ library. Hopefully, once I get things to
build, then I can do some testing and this isn't an issue or is easily
resolve.

Thanks,
Dave