[odb-users] Building on Debian (testing/jessie)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sun Jun 2 11:18:31 EDT 2013

Hi Adrian,

Adrian Imboden <adrian at adi-ware.ch> writes:

> I found out about odb because of the very interesting C++Now presentation.

I am glad you liked it!

> When I want to build odb compiler, I get this output:
>
> # ./bootstrap
>
> [...]
>
> configure.ac:12: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_equote

I am pretty sure you have checked out the code from the Git repository
rather than using one of the packages. The problem is, the autotools
(and VC++) build systems are auto-generated during the distribution
preparation. So, for example, configure.ac in Git is a template that
still has to be preprocessed.

The easiest way to build ODB would be to use the distribution packages
that we have prepared. Then you don't need to run bootstrap and can just
go directly to configure and make. You can also check the INSTALL file
for more information on this method.

Alternatively, if you still want to use ODB from Git, then you can
check the INSTALL-GIT file which describes how this can be done. Note
that it requires quite a bit more initial setup compared to the first
approach.

> Is building on Debian supported or not?

Yes, we make a complete Debian build from grounds up for every release.

> I just upgraded my system from wheezy to Jessie because I suspected
> that the required automake version is higher than my installed one
> (Google suggested that to me).

Actually, getting a combination of versions of autoconf, automake, and
libtool that works reliably is quite tricky. The version of libtool that
is available in Debian is very old and we use a newer version to prepare
the release. That's why it is generally a good idea to avoid running
bootstrap and rather use configure generated by the package maintainer.